Our lawyers Brad Polk and Raymond Tarlton have many years of experience in criminal defense, civil rights, and personal injury cases. Below are some of the results from cases we have represented.
*Please note: The examples below are some of the types of cases we have defended. Outcomes in these cases do not guarantee future results. Potential penalties in these cases were determined by a client’s record at the time of the offense and the nature of the charge. A number of factors go into representation and ultimately a resolution of a criminal charge.
- Client Charged with Drug Trafficking – Level 2 Marijuana (Over 50 lb)
- Potential outcome: Mandatory 35-51 months in prison
- Outcome after our representation: Client did not serve one day in jail or prison and was only sentenced to probation.
- Client with Previous Felony Charged with Drug Trafficking – Over 100 grams MDMA and Firearms
- Potential outcome: Client was under a 1.25 million dollar bond and faced over 140 months in prison due to the charges and status as a habitual felon.
- Outcome after our representation: We were able to have the bond reduced to 100,000 dollars so the client could bond out. After having the charges sent to superior court for trial and suppression motions due to search and seizure issues, all charges were dismissed.
- Client Charged with Conspiracy to Traffic – Level 1 Heroin (more than 4g and less than 14g)
- Potential outcome: Mandatory 70-84 months in prison.
- Outcome after our representation: All charges dismissed. We were able to convince the District Attorney’s Office that our client was a pure user who was charged by the police under a bogus theory of trafficking.
- Client Charged with Felony PWIMSD – Marijuana and Maintaining a Dwelling
- Potential outcome: Felony conviction and Probation
- Outcome after our representation: All charges dismissed. The State was adamantly opposed to my client entering in to a diversionary program, due to weight of marijuana, to have the charges dismissed. However, after nearly two years in Superior Court fighting this case my client was able to have all charges dismissed and have their record remain clean.
- Client Charged with over 25 Felony Drug Charges
- Potential outcome: life in federal prison.
- Outcome after our representation: After filing extensive motion to dismiss, the Government conceded and dismissed each and every charge.
1. DWI in a Hybrid Vehicle with Engine Running
Client was accused of driving under the influence in a hybrid vehicle with the engine running and was convicted in district court. Rather than accepting a Judge’s decision, we appealed to superior court, and a jury returned a Not Guilty verdict. We hired an expert witness to testify that based on the officer’s investigation the State could not prove the engine was running under North Carolina law, since it was a hybrid vehicle.
- Client Accused of Embezzlement
Client accused of embezzling nearly $400,000 of funds from a highly reputable doctor’s office. Consequently, our client was facing many years in prison. Due to over a year of representation, our client was given a probationary sentence.
- Client Charged with Armed Robbery
Client was charged with armed robbery of the grocery store where they worked and was alleged to be the inside man for the job by letting his co-defendant in through the back door. The State alleged that our client’s co-worker was tied up during the robbery. Because of the nature of the charge, our client was facing multiple years in prison. After extensive negotiations with the prosecutor, our client accepted a sentence of probation.
2. Client Charged with Domestic Violence
Client was accused of assaulting his girlfriend. After testimony from the State’s alleged victim, the Judge granted a motion to dismiss as there was not enough evidence to go to a jury.
3. Client Charged with Murder
Client was charged with 1st degree murder facing life in prison. As a result of filing motions to suppress for an unlawful arrest and an unlawful police station interrogation, our client accepted the State’s offer to plea to obstruction of justice and was sentenced to time already served.
1. Client Charged with Possession of Child Pornography
Client came to see us after a federal search warrant was served at their residence and all electronic devices were seized. After forensically testing their computers, over 1000 images of child pornography were found. As a result of months of negotiations, the federal government declined to prosecute.