Time is of the essence – if prosecutors have charged you with sexual assault or a related crime, reach out to experienced criminal defense lawyers Tarlton & Polk today. You need a sexual assault lawyer to help with the case.
Sexual Assault Charges in North Carolina
Need help with sexual assault charges in North Carolina? Reach out today.
The state of North Carolina takes sex offenses very seriously.
The specific nature of the charges in question determines the penalties.
A lengthy prison sentence is certainly one possibility.
Probation and registry to the state’s sex offender registration program are also possible.
If you are facing charges for a sexual offense, you need an experienced legal advocate by your side.
There is no time to waste.
At Tarlton & Polk, our Raleigh sexual offense lawyers have the skills and experience needed to defend your rights.
If you are facing sex crimes charges, contact our law firm today.
Sex Crimes Cases We Handle in North Carolina
- Forcible Rape: In North Carolina, forcible rape occurs when a defendant has vaginal intercourse with a person by force. This is a very serious criminal offense. If the defendant used or displayed a weapon, or caused serious bodily injury, then a forcible rape charge is a first-degree felony.
- Statutory Rape: This crime occurs when a defendant has vaginal intercourse with a child under the age of 13 years and who is at least four years younger than the defendant. No one under the age of 12 can face charges for this crime.
- Sexual Battery: Prosecutors will charge someone with sexual battery if they forced sexual contact with another person. In North Carolina, sexual battery comes in many different forms. The punishment that a defendant will face can vary substantially based on the alleged facts surrounding the offense.
- Sexual Misconduct By an Authority Figure: If a school administrator, teacher, coach, parent, or someone in the role of a caretaker engages in a sexual act with a minor, they will face a serious criminal offense. An authority figure cannot use their position to take advantage of another.
- Indecent Liberties with a Child: This charge is when one attempts to obtain sexual gratification from an act with a child who is under the age of 16, and at least five years younger than the defendant.
- Sexual Exploitation of a Minor: Any person who helps to produce, exchange, transmit, or transport a visual representation of a minor engaged in sexual activity will face this charge.
How Our Raleigh Criminal Defense Attorneys Can Help You
All sex crimes charges are serious. No matter the circumstances you are facing, our North Carolina sex crimes defense lawyers will investigate your case. They will determine the steps to take to protect your best interests. We know how complicated these cases can be.
In a sex offense case, as in other criminal cases, the burden of proof falls on the prosecution.
If you are facing false charges, our criminal defense lawyers fight aggressively so that you can clear your good name. Defendants are innocent until proven guilty, and you should be responsible for a crime that you did not commit.
Our legal team also understands that, in some cases, the best defense strategy is to focus on reducing the penalties that our client is facing. Ultimately, our Raleigh sex offense attorneys always give each case the individualized attention that it deserves.
Contact Our North Carolina Sex Crimes Defense Lawyers Today
At Tarlton & Polk, our top-rated criminal defense attorneys have the talent, experience and resolve to protect your rights and your freedom. If you’re facing sex offense charges, please contact our legal team today for a fully private consultation. With an office in Raleigh, we serve communities throughout the Eastern District of North Carolina, including in Wake County and Durham County.