The state of North Carolina takes sex offenses very seriously. Depending on the specific nature of the charges in question, the penalties could include a lengthy prison sentence, extended probation, and mandatory participation in the state’s sex offender registration program as well as the federal SORNA registration regime.
If you have been accused of a sexual crime, you need an experienced legal advocate by your side. There is no time to waste. At Tarlton | Polk, our Raleigh sexual offense lawyers have the skills and experience needed to defend your rights. If you are facing sex crimes charges, contact our law firm today.
Sex Crimes Cases We Handle in North Carolina
- Forcible Rape: In North Carolina, forcible rape occurs when a defendant has vaginal intercourse with a person by force or against that person’s will. This is a very serious criminal offense. If the defendant used or displayed a weapon, or caused serious bodily injury in the course of committing the offense, then a forcible rape charge can be increased to a first degree felony.
- Statutory Rape: This crime occurs when a defendant has vaginal intercourse with a child under the age of 13 years and who is at least four years younger than the defendant. No one under the age of 12 can be charged with this crime.
- Sexual Battery: A defendant can be charged with sexual battery if they engaged in sexual contact with another person by force. In North Carolina, sexual battery comes in many different forms. The punishment that a defendant will face can vary substantially based on the alleged facts surrounding the offense.
- Sexual Misconduct By an Authority Figure: If a school administrator, teacher, coach, parent, or someone in the role of a caretaker engages in a sexual act with a minor, they can be charged with a serious criminal offense.
- Indecent Liberties with a Child: A defendant can be charged with this offense if they attempt to obtain sexual gratification from an act with a child who is under the age of 16, and at least five years younger than the defendant.
- Sexual Exploitation of a Minor: Any person who helps to produce, exchange, transmit, or transport a visual representation of a minor engaged in sexual activity can be charged with this type of crime.
How Our Raleigh Criminal Defense Attorneys Can Help You
All sex crimes charges must be taken seriously. No matter the circumstances you are facing, our North Carolina sex crimes defense lawyers will investigate your case, and determine what needs to be done to protect your best interests. We know how complicated these cases can be.
In a sex offense case, as in other criminal cases, the burden of proof falls on the prosecution.
If you are facing false charges, our criminal defense lawyers are prepared to fight aggressively so that you can clear your good name. Defendants are innocent until proven guilty, and you should not be held responsible for a crime that you did not commit.
Our legal team also understands that, in some cases, the best defense strategy is to focus on reducing the penalties that our client is facing. Ultimately, our Raleigh sex offense attorneys always give each case the individualized attention that it deserves.
Contact Our North Carolina Sex Crimes Defense Lawyers Today
At Tarlton | Polk, our top-rated criminal defense attorneys have the talent, experience and resolve to protect your rights and your freedom. If you were arrested and charged with a sex offense, please contact our legal team today for a fully private consultation.
With an office in Raleigh, we serve communities in the federal courts, including Eastern District of North Carolina, Middle District of North Carolina, and Western District of North Carolina, and the state courts, including Wake County, Johnston, Orange, and Durham Counties.